In November 17, 1999, with the initiative of Peter Kubisz, prof., MD, DSc. and his colleagues from Martin and with the support of Maria Hulikova, assoc. prof., MD, PhD., following the tradition of the functioning regional centres for haemostasis and thrombosis the Slovak Association for Haemostasis and Thrombosis was established. It functions all over the Slovak Republic and its mission is to represent and defend the needs and interests of people with disorders of haemostasis. The Association advocates the improvement of the quality of the treatment, rehabilitation, spa care and social security of the patients.
Along with the Association, in December 2006, the multidisciplinary committee consisting of the experts in haematology, angiology, surgery, anaesthesiology, cardiology, and last but not least in gynaecology, was formed.
In December 2011, this working group of specialists in their particular field of study – Slovak Society on Haemostasis and Thrombosis – was accepted as the member of the Slovak Medical Society.
For further information, including the instructions how to become a member of the Society, please visit the official website of Slovak Society on Haemostasis and Thrombosis – www.ssht.sk/ssht.
Forms of activities
- The Society organizes home and international educational activities (congresses, symposia, conferences, lectures, seminars, courses etc.)
- It helps in the organization of the business trips and study stays in the Slovak Republic and abroad.
- Members of the Society are chairs of the accreditation, attestation and other committees.
- The Society maintains the advisory and expertise functions in the field of haemostasis in the various medical sciences.
- It announces the competitions and awards the prizes and honors for the exceptional achievements in the development of medical sciences and related fields.
- Members of the Society are members of the advisory boards of the Ministry of Health of the Slovak Republic, in the chambers of physicians, pharmaceuts, and other professional organizations, as well as further organs and institutions interested in the disorders of haemostasis.
- The creation of the recommendations for the various clinical situations in haematology (the establishment of the risk and prevention of the venous thromboembolism in the particular groups of the patients, bridging anticoagulant treatment, immune tolerance induction in haemophilia A, monitoring of the treatment with direct oral anticoagulants, treatment of life-threatening bleeding etc.)
- The organization of the conferences (Slovak-Czech Conference on Haemostasis and Thrombosis, World Thrombosis Day, The School of Thrombosis.
- Members of the Society are the Members of Editorial Board of the postgradual interdisciplinary scientific journal Vaskularna medicina.
- The Society is committed to maintain the National Registry of Thrombophilic States in Slovak Republic.
Current research interest
- monitoring of the effectiveness of new oral anticoagulants
- genetic polymorphisms asssociated with thrombophilia
- expression of platelet glycoprotein receptors in thrombophilic thrombocytopathies
- monitoring of dual antiplatelet treatment (patients with acute coronary syndrome)
- haemostasis and cellular therapy
- haemophilia and inhibitors
- immune tolerance induction (ITI)
- inherited and acquired haemophilia
- activated factor VIIa (FVIIa) related to management of bleeding in haemophilic and non-haemophilic patients
- endothelial and platelet dysfunction in vascular disorders (preeclampsia, hypertension, diabetes mellitus, haemodialysed patients)
- haemostasis and cellular therapy
- haemostasis and tumours
New diagnostic, treatment and technological procedures
- the research of the inherited thrombophilic state – the sticky platelet syndrome in the clinical practice, prevention of thrombosis and recurrent abortions using pioneering methods – aggregometry of the whole blood, release of the adenosine trisphosphate, flow cytometry (platelet microparticles)
- the first experimental treatment of the critical limb ischaemia using autologous transplantation of the bone marrow in Slovakia (the winner of the Grant of Ministry of Health 2006-2009 on this topic)
- monitoring of the dual antiplatelet treatment in patients with STEMI and non-STEMI using aggregometry and VASP (the project of the Agency for Research and Development 2012-2015)
- monitoring of the global haemostasis in physiological pregnancy and high-risk pregnancy on anticoagulant treatment with the use of rotational thromboelastometry (the project of the Scientific Grant Agency 1/0168/16)
- the preparation of the protocols of the National Centre of Haemostasis and Thrombosis for the diagnosis and treatmnent of the thrombophilic and bleeding disorders of haemostasis
- maping of the incidence of the most common causes of thrombosis (including the most frequent mutations of the coagulation factors II and V) in the Slovak population and their implementation in the prevention of thrombosis mainly in asymptomatic individuals in risky situations (surgery, delivery, postpartum period)
- immune tolerance induction (ITI) in patients with haemophilia A and inhibitor using own modified protocol (the only 3 successful ITI in Slovakia without the use of immunosuppressants)
- successful therapeutic use of the recombinant activated coagulation factor VII in life-threatening bleeding in non-haemophilic patients
- diagnosis of minimal residual leukemia by the flow cytometry in patients treated with chemotherapy for acute leukemia and its use in further treatment of these patients
Peter Kubisz, prof., MD, DSc.
National Centre of Haemostasis and Thrombosis, Department of Haematology and Transfusiology, Comenius University in Bratislava, Jessenius Faculty of Medicine in Martin, Martin University Hospital, Martin, Slovak Republic
- European Thrombosis Research Organization
- Gesellschaft für Thrombose- und Hämostaseforschung
- Danubian League against Thrombosis and Haemorrhagic Disorders
- Slovak Society for Angiology
- Slovak Society of Anaesthesiology and Intensive Medicine
- Slovak Society of Vascular Surgery
- Slovak Society of Cardiology
- Czech Society for Haemostasis and Thrombosis
- Association for Thrombosis and Haemostasis in the Czech Republic
- International Society on Thrombosis and Haemostasis